Possible California DUI penalties include:
- Incarceration from a few days in county jail to many years in state prison
- Probation, either formal (with a probation officer) or informal
- Monetary damages in the form of fines, penalties, and restitution
- Restriction, suspension or revocation of your California Driver License
- Mandatory attendance at treatment programs
- Car impoundment
- Installation of ignition interlock device
The imposition and severity of these various DUI penalties varies depending on prior DUI convictions and the circumstances of the current case. Review the California DUI Penalty Chart for more information.
In addition to state sanctions, DUI convictions almost always result in significantly higher insurance premiums, and in some cases, adverse impacts on employment.